We value positive relationships with parents and carers to help develop better social and emotional skills in children. We know that when children are engaged with their learning, they attend school more regularly, leading to better long term outcomes.
Communication between home and school is considered of the utmost importance in the education of each student at St Bernard’s Catholic Primary School Botany.
In the course of a school year, the following formal processes support this:
- Parent information sessions with the class teacher at the beginning of each year
- Parent/teacher interviews in Term 1 and Term 2. Students in Years 4 to 6 are also participants in these conferences.
- Half yearly and yearly school reports
Parents are encouraged to organise a time to speak with the class teacher or school leaders when they have concerns.
The Compass Parent Portal is the primary means for written communications between home and school. Through this online app, parents can access news feeds (messages) and the fortnightly school newsletter. Parents can also monitor their child’s attendance, access the school calendar, information about school events, school reports and book parent-teacher interviews through this portal.
Parent involvement in the life of the school is highly valued. Parents can get involved by:
- Being a volunteer in the classroom eg. helping with reading or the MULTILIT Program
- Attending weekly school assemblies
- Participating in outreach or faith initiatives provided via the family educator
- Helping at school sport events like carnivals and gala days
- Getting involved in the Parent & Friends (P&F) Association
The P&F strives to build a strong community for the benefit of the students by:
- Reaching out to build a friendly and welcoming community involving all parents,
- Raising funds to provide resources and opportunities to enrich student learning,
- Providing a forum where matters related to the education of students can be discussed productively,
- Contributing to the broader community, giving service and funds, especially to those in need.
All parents and friends are welcome to attend the P&F Meetings, once a term and to get involved in its broad range of initiatives. The P&F organises class parents. These are parent representatives from each class who communicate important school and P&F information to other parents in the class and help to coordinate fundraising and social events. The P&F also runs the school canteen and secondhand uniform shop.