St Bernard’s Catholic Primary School Botany is a diverse and close-knit community serving the parish of Botany, within the Eastern Region of the Archdiocese of Sydney. Founded by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in 1855, their charism, along with the life of St Bernard, inspires our school vision; that all in our community are United in Faith, Inspired to Achieve and Empowered for life. Each day we pray, ‘May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be everywhere loved’ and we strive to live this out by showing unconditional love to others.
As the principal, this means that I am committed to leading a strong, faith-filled community of students, staff and parents in which all know that they belong and are valued. Therefore, our staff focus on getting to know each child and their family, so the instruction and learning experiences provided are relevant and meaningful, ensuring learning growth for all. Teachers set high expectations for the development of positive behaviours for learning and life for all students, so they become capable and confident to make a positive difference in the world.
Of particular importance is the place of parents who are encouraged to have an active role in their child’s education and in the life of the school and parish. Mutual respect and cooperation between home and school are recognised as essential to school life and in enhancing learning for the students.
Thank you for taking the time to browse our school website. If you would like to find out more about St Bernard’s Catholic Primary School, feel free to contact us. I invite you to visit our school to see everything we have to offer.
Our school began in 1885 with the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH) Sisters. They ran the school in the newly established parish of St Bernard’s, located on Botany Rd (near the current Southern Cross Drive). The school opened with twenty students. In 1894 there were five sisters teaching about 200 students and by 1907 the number of students had increased to 328. In 1955, the school was relocated to its current site. The new St Bernard’s School catered for girls from Kindergarten to Year 6 and boys up to Year 4. By the 1960s it had about 200 students and was a systemic school. The Sisters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart continued to administer St Bernard’s School until 1994, when the first lay principal was appointed.
The charism of the OLSH Sisters lives on through the way we act at school every day. Daily we pray ‘May the sacred heart of Jesus be everywhere loved’. We try to be ‘the Heart of Jesus’ by showing unconditional love; respecting, including and reaching out to all. An ongoing relationship continues with the Sisters who are now located at Kensington.
Our Mission Statement
Celebrate Our Faith: Educating students in the rich traditions of the Catholic faith and assisting them to respond to the message of Jesus in their lives.
Live with Hope: Instilling an optimistic attitude to learning, by fostering responsibility and resilience to build a brighter future.
Teach to Inspire: Providing stimulating and rigorous learning experiences where every student is engaged and empowered to achieve excellence.
Learn in Love: Developing confident, collaborative, lifelong learners, to build a socially just world.
A strong, positive relationship exists between our school and St Bernard’s Parish. Father Augusthy, our parish priest, warmly engages with the students, staff and parents and invites everyone to be involved in the parish through participation in parish Masses, the Sacraments and a variety of parish groups.
The school also encourages families to participate in the parish. It takes significant responsibility for the Sacramental programs and involvement in Sunday Eucharist through school family Masses each term. Some parents and older students lead kids’ church during the very family-friendly Sunday 9.00am Mass each week. Year 6 students can complete the Pope Francis Award by doing community service. Our family faith educator supports parents in developing the faith of their children through involvement in parish activities.
Parish Priest: Father Abraham Tharappel Augusthy
Address: St Bernard’s Catholic Church – Botany
4 Ramsgate Street, Botany, NSW 2019
Phone: (02) 9316 8303
Saturday Vigil: 5:30pm
Sunday: 7:00am, 9:00am, 11:00am (Croatian)
Proudly Part of the Community of Sydney Catholic Schools
Our school is part of a system of over 150 low-fee Catholic schools in the Sydney Archdiocese.
Sydney Catholic Schools are thriving Catholic communities that ignite a love of Christ through excellent teaching and learning to empower students to reach their full potential.